Dun Laoghaire On-Line Homepage
About Dun Laoghaire On-LineAdvertise with Dun Laoghaire On-LineContact Dun Laoghaire On-LineDiscussion ForumOn-Line Shopping
Dun Laoghaire Panorama
Find a local business Find somewhere to stay Restaurant & Bar Guide Event Guide Local Activity Guide Local Transport Guide Local Maps Local History Local Photos Local Video Local Weather Local News
  Dun Laoghaire Discussion Forum
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register  

HomeSearchLoginRegisterHelp  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Birds Nest Childrens Home (Read 28235 times)
Plastic_Paddy
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Birds Nest Childrens Home
Feb 25th, 2008, 9:45am

I wonder if anyone knows where you can find info on this place. I`m searching for records in 1895-1915 era. I`m researching about my Grt Granmother, and Uncles. Many thanks.

IP Logged
alex400

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

England
Re: Birds Nest Childrens Home
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2008, 1:36am

Hi Plastic Paddy,
Fancy seeing you here. I did
contact you from the other site quite recently, to no avail. I am still seeing Daniela at Ickenham.

Regards  'The Birds Nest' . It is gone now however the daunting building is well and truly there. I t was founded back in the 1880s as a Protestant Orphanage founded by the ' Smyly Trust Homes' and I can well remember the children out for their Sunday ramble, all quite small kids too. The Irish International Footballer, Paul McGrath ex Man. United was an 'inmate' there and  you get his book, the biography, "Back from the Brink" by himself it is quite sad a lot about the home is described there..... The book may give you more guidance.
Contact the "Church of Ireland" , the Protestant Dioscese via the internet and they can supply Roll books etc under the freedom of information act in Ireland. It only closed in the late 1960s as an Orphanage. Sadly the children it appears , did not fare any better in the Protestant Institutions than their piers in the Catholic Homes.. You will find your endeavours probobly quite easy, one other place of contact, and very good is the
Dun Laoghaire Borough Historical Society, Sec. Colin Scudds,
7 Northumberland Park
Dun Laoghaire
Co. Dubln...
Good luck and say hello to the old site. you are missed
Alex400  aka Enviro500
David O'Connor

IP Logged
Chiropodist

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2008, 8:23pm

The Birds Nest was always part of the scene together with the Orphanage and the Cottage home on Tivoli Road. I and other kids pitied the children who had to be cared for in these places but we were sure they were well looked after.

IP Logged
albatross
YaBB Newbies

Hi I'm New : )

Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2009, 3:26am

The Birds Nest was operating as a home for children until at least the mid-70s. The children at that time were not, for the most part, orphans as such but put into care because of circumstances beyond their parents or carers' control eg. marriage breakdown, unemployment or illness.

The resident home managers at that time were a Percy Fortune and his wife. They were a kindly couple with their own son and they lived on the premises.

They encouraged anyone who cared to, to visit the home and one did not need an appointment as such. My wife and I lived up the road and we would sometimes accompany the children on walks on weekends especially on those glorious summer days of '74 and '75.

The children were always bright and cheerful and their only complaint seemed to be the quantity of food available.

Percy had two faults which caused me, a foreigner much amusement: one was that he was the worst car driver I have ever had the misfortune to accompany - he only knew two speeds. Stop and flat out and traffic lights were merely suggestions. The second was that he was an unrepentant opponent of "home rule" - this in the 1970s!

This latter was a bit of an irony as he was the brother of Captain Desmond Fortune who was, it will be recalled, badly injured when the MV Kerlogue was shot up by the RAF in October 1943.

IP Logged
Mr Smiley
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2011, 8:06am

The Bird's nest was just one of 4 different children's homes in dublin all of which were part of Mrs Smyly's Homes. Nearby you have Racefield house (3 Lower Mounttown Road Dun Laoghaire) and and Glensilva (95 Monkstown Road, Monkstown, Co Dublin.) The fourth home was on the quays in the centre on dublin but is now shut down.
The head office for Smyly's Homes is : 15 Rock Hill, Blackrock Co.Dublin and is still open.
The website address is smylytrust.ie
I was in the Bird's Nest till it shut down in 1976/77, one of the last kids there...only 7 years old when I left there for Glen Silva in Monkstown..It seems a whole age has now gone past since then but can still vividly remember what it was like...Kinda strange places..but not so bad in the final years..hate to have been there in the 1860's -

Hope that is of help..... Wink

IP Logged
Mr Smiley
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2011, 8:30am

More Info regarding Bird;s Nest and Smyly's Homes
CENTRES
Glensilva, 95 Monkstown Road, Co. Dublin, with which is incorporated the Birds’
Nest, the Boys’ Home, the Elliott Home and Children’s Fold.
Racefield House, 3 Lower Mounttown, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin
Aftercare, Northumberland Chambers, Northumberland Avenue,
Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin
TRUSTEES
Mrs Smyly’s Homes
Mrs. J. Flegg
Mr. M.R.H. Varian
Mr. A.R. Dunwoody
Mr. A. Buttanshaw
Mrs. A. Irvine
Mr. G. Knaggs
Mr. R. Fry
Members of the Board of Directors
Smyly Trust Services
Mrs. A. Irvine
Mrs. L. McMullan
Mrs. A. O’Neill
Ms. C. Murphy
Mr. T. Moore
Ms. P. Rooney
Mr. A.R. Dunwoody
Mr. R. Fry
Mr. P. Abbott
Ms. H. Prentice
Secretary & Treasurer
Mr. W.K. Gillanders
Director of Services
Mr. A.J. Moore, M.Sc. (econ)
Centre Managers
Glensilva – Ms. H. Buggle
Racefield House – Mr. H. Byrne
Aftercare – Mr. A. Hendrick
Contributions will be gratefully received by the
Secretary and Treasurer,
Mrs Smyly’s Homes, 15 Rock Hill, Blackrock, Co. Dublin
Telephone No. 01 288 6760
Fax: 288 7531
e-mail: info@smylytrust.ie
Registered Charity Number: CHY 2581

See You.... Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Glensilva
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - Feb 3rd, 2011, 12:47am

Do you mind if I ask your name as i was also in glensilva.

IP Logged
Mr Smiley
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - Feb 3rd, 2011, 5:43pm

My name is David..was in Glen Silva from 1977-1982.. Undecided

IP Logged
Mr Smiley
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - Feb 3rd, 2011, 6:14pm

Percy and his wife Muriel Fortune, their son Arthur and their dog rover ran the Bird's nest..Mrs Smiley, the grande-dame of the homes, visited the bird's nest regularly to say hello to the children. She was the grand-daughter of Clare Smiley, the woman who opened the industrial home back in the 1860's-1870's. Clare Smiley ran the industrial schools in Ireland and a woman called Anne McPherson ran the industrial schools in Canada. Children from Ireland often ended up in Canada via Anne Mcpherson..

Muriel Fortune was the Matron of the Bird's Nest and and her husband Percy was the caretaker. The Bird's Nest had a Nursery and Muriel was a qualified nurse and took care of babies as well as young children..They were both old school protestants and when the children attended church with her she literally sang the roof off the church such was her enthusiasm for the hymns and general settings of god's house, much to the astonishment of myself and the other kid's. She must have been opera trained..

Percy was a bit of a brute and had no hesitation in beating anyone who stepped out of line in the Bird's Nest. There was a beating room specifically used for beating kids which i had the great fortune of never having had to be taken to..Both Muriel and Percy beat the kids regularly with hangers and belts and sticks...any blunt instrument at hand usually did the trick..

Life in the institution was fairly routine, get up, eat breakfast, go to school, go to church...There were about 15-20 kids in the final years and quite a number of carers and nurses who worked with the babies in the nursery..
The dormitories had about 10 beds each and trying to sleep was a bit of a nightmare..all sorts of games were played after dark by the kids on each other to try and scare each other..

Percy and Muriel and Arthur and their dog went on to run Glen Silva in Monkstown in 1977-78 after the bird's nest shutdown..I stayed in Glensilva till 1981 and when I left did not see them again.

IP Logged
Paul S
YaBB Newbies

Dublin
Reply #9 - Feb 5th, 2011, 2:25am

Hey Folks,
Thanks for the great read, you wouldn't believe how interesting I've found it .
I was adopted when i was 7 and a half months old .I was born on the 25th June'76 but not adopted until almost March'77 . I've recently met my birth mother,only 2 months ago ,for the first time ,so i'm only beginning to discover little clues about my life from the very beginning !
What had me and my parents(adopted parents) baffled was ,where in the world was I between June'76 and Mar'77 ???
Then today i got a letter from the HSE ,and they had found where I had been and it was The Birds Nest Nursery on York Rd, Dun Laoghaire !  

So ,as I said guys, finding your thread has been really important to me and has brought a tear to my eyes ,as I can now start to imagine and visualize a life i had for 9 months ,that I knew nothing about, until now that is ,cheers !

I really hope it was a decent place and all the kids were treated as best they could be .I know times were alot different in them days and alot lot harder .

I'd really love some more info about the nursery ,you just can't beat people's very own story's ,it really helps to paint a picture !

Cheers Guys ,nice to talk to you all and thanks for listening !
Paul.

IP Logged
mick
YaBB Newbies

Reply #10 - Aug 24th, 2011, 10:59pm

Anyone know anything about the boys home which was sister home to the birds nest I was at the birds nest' then transfered to the boys home in dublin about 1954 or55

IP Logged
dek
YaBB Newbies

Re: Birds Nest Childrens Home Boys Home Grand
Reply #11 - Sep 21st, 2011, 5:46pm

Hi plastic Paddy,

I was in the Boys Home in Grand Canal Street from 1953 until 1957.

At that time Mr McEvoy was the house master, Miss Nash was the cook, and Miss Turpin was in the sewing room, the Matrons name escapes me it Miss mac something.

Some of the boys names I remember, Isac Mahomad, Tommy Tyrell, Paul Shorten, Alan Bailey, John Doran, Arthur o keeffe, David Hodge, Brian Godfrey.

I am sure there are more.

Best wishes

Dek ::) ::)

IP Logged
memories
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - Nov 26th, 2011, 4:05am

i was also in the Bird's Nest.  arrived in the Bird's Nest from Boley. the Smyth's were in charge! they were beaters of children and fear was the order of the day. a bad place to be. no place for a child. very few inmates were adopted! alot of lives were ruined in that place. another English couple replaced the Smyths. the Fortunes were just as bad. if that was christianity it was evil.

IP Logged
memories
YaBB Newbies

Reply #13 - Nov 26th, 2011, 4:42am

Mr A. Buttanshaw (Smyly Trustee and Barrister) put in writing that i could see all of my 'care' file but what i saw was a skeleton one with no meat on the bones. my human rights as always disrespected by the
Smyly organization.

Mr Smiley wrote on Jan 27th, 2011, 8:30am:
More Info regarding Bird;s Nest and Smyly's Homes
CENTRES
Glensilva, 95 Monkstown Road, Co. Dublin, with which is incorporated the Birds’
Nest, the Boys’ Home, the Elliott Home and Children’s Fold.
Racefield House, 3 Lower Mounttown, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin
Aftercare, Northumberland Chambers, Northumberland Avenue,
Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin
TRUSTEES
Mrs Smyly’s Homes
Mrs. J. Flegg
Mr. M.R.H. Varian
Mr. A.R. Dunwoody
Mr. A. Buttanshaw
Mrs. A. Irvine
Mr. G. Knaggs
Mr. R. Fry
Members of the Board of Directors
Smyly Trust Services
Mrs. A. Irvine
Mrs. L. McMullan
Mrs. A. O’Neill
Ms. C. Murphy
Mr. T. Moore
Ms. P. Rooney
Mr. A.R. Dunwoody
Mr. R. Fry
Mr. P. Abbott
Ms. H. Prentice
Secretary & Treasurer
Mr. W.K. Gillanders
Director of Services
Mr. A.J. Moore, M.Sc. (econ)
Centre Managers
Glensilva – Ms. H. Buggle
Racefield House – Mr. H. Byrne
Aftercare – Mr. A. Hendrick
Contributions will be gratefully received by the
Secretary and Treasurer,
Mrs Smyly’s Homes, 15 Rock Hill, Blackrock, Co. Dublin
Telephone No. 01 288 6760
Fax: 288 7531
e-mail: info@smylytrust.ie
Registered Charity Number: CHY 2581

See You.... Roll Eyes

IP Logged
memories
YaBB Newbies

Reply #14 - Nov 26th, 2011, 4:47am

the Boys Home on Grand Canal Street. the boys from the Bird's Nest were marched off to the Boys Home on Grand Canal Street when they became a certain age!  when the Boys Home On Grand Canal Street was closed down the inmates were moved to a new home in Monkstown called Glensilva.

mick wrote on Aug 24th, 2011, 10:59pm:
Anyone know anything about the boys home which was sister home to the birds nest I was at the birds nest' then transfered to the boys home in dublin about 1954 or55

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

Click Here To Visit Our Profile

click here for our business directory

click here for emergency telephone numbers

click here for local event guide

click here for special offers for our visitors