EAST PIER LIGHTHOUSE

Built: 1847 - Automated: 1977

This light is located at the end of the East Pier of Dun Laoghaire Harbour. It and the West Pier Light were built to guide into the harbour ships that were waiting to get into the Port of Dublin. When this light became a three-keeper station in 1949, the Principal Keeper moved into the dwelling of the unmanned West Pier Light, and the two assistants and their families lived in the dwellings at the base of this East Pier tower. In 1955 it was converted to relieving status - the keepers' families ceased living there with them; the keepers continued to live in the dwellings inside the battery walls while on duty, and worked a shift system of six weeks' duty followed by two weeks off duty when they went home to their families. The lighthouse was fully automated on 31 October 1977.

See Also: West Pier   The Bailey

Light House Exhibition



IF YOU HAVE ARRIVED AT THIS SITE THROUGH A SEARCH ENGINE
AND ARE VIEWING THIS PAGE ON ITS OWN,
PLEASE GO TO OUR FRAMED HOMEPAGE
www.dun-laoghaire.com